Dear Neighbor,

Constituent services are an important function of my office, and my staff and I work hard to make sure that Malden residents can access the resources they need.  Whether it's a problem renewing someone's health insurance or getting help with the state's Fuel Assistance vouchers, I want to make sure that government and nonprofit programs are accessible to those in need.  We've gathered many of our go-to resources here that we use to help individuals and families.  As always, you can reach out to my office for help at or (617) 722-2460.


Community Information and Assistance

Mystic Valley Opportunity Center
ABCD can help through providing information about local opportunities such as Housing, Health Insurance, and other programs for income-eligible residents.

110 Pleasant Street, 3rd Floor
Malden, MA 02148
Ph: (781) 321-3431
Fx: (781) 397-2853

Hatian Creole

Notary Public
Various services performed by a notary public can be obtained for free through ABCD's community centers.

ABCD Free Tax Preparation Assistance
ABCD provides tax consultation for free at their community centers. For aid in maximizing your returns when filing contact your local ABCD community center to get started.

Disability Assistance

Massachusetts Health and Human Services
If you have been injured at your job you may be able to file a claim for disability.

Social Security Administration
Find the closest Social Security Office
Ph: (800) 722-1213

Application for Disabled Parking Plate/Placard
People with medical disabilities may qualify for a Disabled Parking Placard/Plate to utilize handicap accessible parking across the state. Confer with your doctor in conjunction with this application if potentially eligible.

Motor Vehicle Excise Exemptions for Veterans
Veterans with service related disabilities may be eligible for an excise tax exemption.


Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination
Within 300 days of a discriminatory event an individual may file with the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination to request an investigation into whether there was probably cause for unlawful discrimination. If the individual is unsure whether or not unlawful discrimination has occurred prior to filing, they may consult with an MCAD staff member to determine the best course of action.

Reporting Discrimination in Education
The US Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights enforces relevant civil rights laws in education. If an individual believes they have been subjected to discriminatory behavior they may file a complaint through the link above.

Drug and Alcohol Addiction and Treatment

AddictionCenter is a professional web guide that connects individuals struggling with addiction to treatment options.

Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Information about programs, support and treatment for drug and alcohol addiction can be found through the Department of Public Health website.

Bureau of Substance Abuse Services
Department of Public Health
250 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02108-4609
Ph: (617) 624-5111

Massachusetts Organization for Addiction Recovery (MOAR)
MOAR can provide contact information for the best local organization to help manage your individual situation in the best manner.

29 Winter St. 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02108
Ph: (617) 423-6627

Galvin Foundation
The Galvin Foundation provides an array of help services focused in different ways to provide assistance in the most relevant manner.

54 & 58 Old Colony Avenue
South Boston, MA 02127
Ph: (617) 269-2933

Families Anonymous
Families Anonymous is for relatives and friends concerned about the use of drugs and related behavioral problems by someone close to them. Meetings are held weekly on Tuesday from 7:00-8:30PM

Ph: (781) 727-1803
121 Washington Street
Medford, MA 02155


State Financial Assistance Programs

Malden Public Schools
For all information about Malden's public school system please visit their website.

Mystic Valley Regional Charter School
Information about the Mystic Valley Regional Charter School can be found through their website. In order to enter your child into the lottery admissions process, a form available on their website must be filled our and mailed or emailed to the school by early January in the school year prior to their intent to matriculate.

Federal Student Aid
Many private and public education institutions require the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be completed in order to access the financial cost and available aid for prospective students. The FAFSA is free to complete and submit to your chosen institutions.

Student Loan Advising
Assistance may be available to individuals unable to pay student loans or have difficulty interacting with their loan servicer. Information for a Request for Assistance may be found on the Attorney General's website. For consultations a hotline listed below is available.

Attorney General's Insurance and Financial Services Division
Ph:1 (888) 830-6277

ABCD HeadStart Children's Service Resources
Head Start offers free services to families who live in the Boston area and meet federal low-income guidelines. Inquire on their website for eligibility criteria. Children must be 3 years old as of September 1st of the school year they wish to enroll.

Food Assistance

Qualified individuals or families are given a SNAP card that allows them to spend a certain amount of money on food and other items at participating grocery and other stores

Online Application
Find the closest Transitional Assistance Office
Ph: (877) 382-2363

ABCD SNAP Application Assistance
Food pantry, food stamp, and meal assistance programs are offered throughout ABCD's network. Information about their nutrition and food programs are available on the ABCD website.

Fuel/Heat Assistance

The government of Massachusetts and cities and towns provide fuel assistance in the form of vouchers based on need and income.

Cold Relief Heatline
Ph: (800) 632-8175

ABCD Fuel Assistance
Consultations and assistance are available through ABCD's fuel and energy assistance. ABCD will help assist applications through LIHEAP, HEARTWAP, NCAP, and WAP, as well as utility arrearage forgiveness


Massachusetts Department of Health and Human Services
The Massachusetts DHHS has information regarding a wide array of healthcare related topics. For specific information please visit the links below.

Healthcare For All - MA
The Healthcare for All organization seeks to aid and provide information for all seeking healthcare. They provide assistance for affordable, accessible healthcare system for all residents.

One Federal Street
Boston, MA 02110
Ph: 617-350-7279
Fx: 617-451-5838
TTY: 617-350-0974

State/Federal Insurance
If you do not have medical insurance from your employer you may be able to apply for health insurance through programs offered by the state and federal government.

Federal Insurance
Massachusetts Health Connector
MassHealth Customer Service Center
Ph: (800) 841-2900

Health Connector Renewal Process
As of 11/20/15 all members of the Mass Health Connector who have not changed their plan selection for 2016 shall be automatically renewed. To change or opt-out of this program visit their website and follow the instructions given.

ABCD MassHealth Application Assistance
Committed to their community, ABCD seeks to ensure low-income residents have access to health care opportunities.


Massachusetts Department of Housing and Community Development Resource List
Massachusetts DHCD website
There are many programs offered to help individuals and families experiencing housing challenges due to loss of employment, income status, domestic violence, and other reasons.

Malden Housing Authority

Executive Office
630 Salem Street
Malden, Massachusetts 02148
Ph: (781) 322-9460
Fx: (781) 322-4838

Housing Choice Voucher Program
89 Pearl Street
Malden, Massachusetts 02148
Ph: (781) 322-8007
Fx: (781) 322-803

Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership
The MBHP is a primary source for information on affordable housing and various programs in place in the Greater Boston area. They have a multitude of education events and resources to allow individuals to make informed decisions based upon their own situation.

Section 8
The Section 8 program provides rental vouchers based on income and need.

The Veteran's Homeless Hotline
ph: 1 (800) 424-3838

Victims of domestic violence
Additionally there are emergency shelters for battered women and other domestic violence issues, such as the Portal to Hope.

ABCD Housing Assistance
ABCD has a housing and homelessness prevention department which works to assist people in maintaining their households and creating opportunities for safe and affordable housing.


Department of Labor and Workforce Development
The Massachusetts DLWD serves as a mediator for workplace grievances as well as investigates unfair labor practice charges. Forms and additional information may be found on their website.

Workers' Compensation
The Massachusetts Department of Labor and Workforce Development will assist you if you are an injured worked or employer in Massachusetts.


Department of Transitional Assistance
The Massachusetts DTA's primary goal is to assist clients in finding employment and resolving barriers to self-sufficiency.

Malden City Hall
200 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148
Ph: (781) 388-7300

Department of Unemployment Assistance
The Massachusetts DUA administers unemployment insurance to assist workers in transitioning into new employment opportunities. Applications online are available through their website.

ABCD Immigration-Related Services
Immigration services are available providing translation, interpretation, citizenship guidance, housing options, and employment opportunities to new members of the community through ABCD.

Veterans and Active Duty Assistance

The Veteran's Crisis Hotline
This service connects veterans and their families with supportive respondents to negotiate the crisis being faced.

General Hotline:
Ph: 1 (800) 273-8255
Homeless Issues:
Ph: 1 (800) 424-3838

SAVE (Statewide Advocacy for Veteran Empowerment)
SAVE acts as a liaison between veterans, their families, and various government agencies which can assist them.

Ph: (617) 210-5732 / 1 (888) 844-2838

Military One Source
Military One Source seeks to educate veterans about a variety of service related topics from deployment, reintegration, parenthood, retirement and benefits. For more information you can visit their website, or call their number below.

Ph: 1 (800) 342-9647

Military Spouse Employment Assistance
The Real Warriors Campaign is a multimedia public awareness campaign designed to encourage help-seeking behavior among service members, veterans and military families coping with invisible wounds. The above resource helps to connect military spouses with employment opportunities.

Voter Registration

How to Register
All citizens who are 18 or older at the time of the next election are eligible to vote.

Back to the top